What your audience wants more than anything
What your audience wants more than anything is to FEEL you.
They want to feel your heart, your beliefs, and your passionate stands on the topics you are speaking or writing about.
But they may not even be consciously aware that they desire emotional connection with you.
They may have been attracted to your message initially more on an intellectual level and thought something like the following:
“Oh, this person sounds like they can help me solve my problem.”
“This person’s formula or process really makes sense.”
“Wow, this person’s testimonials or social proof are impressive. They must be really good.”
“It sounds like this person has the missing piece for me, so I better follow her.”
However, your audience is much more willing to stick around if they feel an emotional connection with you.
Think of the wild and sustaining popularity of Oprah and Liz Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love and musical greats like Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder and Lady Gaga. They let us into their world in a deep, emotional way. They put it all on the line each time they create. And we crave even more from them.
It’s the same with the audience for your business. Your people typically buy from you based on an emotional bond or feeling they get from listening to you, reading your stuff, or interacting with you in some way.
So today’s takeaway is…
* Be willing to expose your heart (or more of it) in your speaking and writing.
* Be willing to be appropriately vulnerable with your audience, while also standing in the power and strength of your expertise.
* Be willing to reveal more of who you are–your fears, insecurities and imperfections. Your humanness, essentially.
* Be willing to speak up powerfully for a better world that works for ALL of us.
Your audience will not only love you for it, they’ll stick around and be hungry for much more of your wisdom, gifts and expertise.
- Puppy, Paris & passion projects, oh my! - July 6, 2022
- Favorite quote from TEDxSanDiego & how this relates to you - April 1, 2022
- My biggest “aha” as a TEDx speaker coach - February 18, 2022
- 2021 gratitude & new year’s intentions - January 27, 2022
- How to find your Big Idea + my SUE Talk! - December 21, 2021