The antidote to perfectionism
Last month my friend and improv teacher Vanessa Wilde gave an awesome training to my Soulful Speakers Club members on the 5 principles of improv and how improv can help us be more confident and compelling speakers.
One of the improv principles she shared–that’s become my new favorite–is… DARE TO SUCK!
And this, my friends, is the antidote to perfectionism. Perfectionism often shows up as:
- “I have to get it right BEFORE I can put it out there.”
- “I need to work on this just a little bit longer, and THEN I’ll be ready to share it with others.” Meanwhile that “little bit longer” turns into months or even years.
- “I don’t want people to think I’m stupid, inept, lacking expertise, not good enough, a fraud.”
Years ago I listened to a talk by world-renowned speaker, motivational coach and author Bob Proctor. I’ll never forget him describing the first time he put together a recording of him talking about his success principles.
Bob shared the recording with a friend, and after listening to it, his friend just shook his head–at a loss to express how bad it really was.
But that didn’t stop Bob. He kept going and kept going and went on to earn tens of millions of dollars through his coaching and training company. At 86, he’s still one of the world’s most successful motivational speakers.
It takes courage to put your voice, your art, your content, your signature talk, your passion out there before you feel fully ready.
LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman says:
“If you’re not embarrassed by the first version of your product, you’ve launched too late.”
When we launch our stuff out into the world–or give our signature talk–we risk sucking at it.
But the ONLY way we grow and get better at speaking, creating videos, writing content, launching a new product, or being interviewed is by DOING IT. Over and over again.
This is one of the reasons why I created the Soulful Speakers Club.
The Soulful Speakers Club gives you a safe space to practice your speaking–to “dare to suck”–and receive expert feedback and loving support from an intimate group of peers.
In addition to speaking practice in my 6-month group membership program, you also receive ongoing support and accountability on the essentials needed to be successful with speaking, which include:
Finding & Booking Speaking Gigs
Confidently Making a Compelling Offer
Creating Compelling Videos to Attract Your Tribe
Refining Your Signature Talk Content
And Amplifying Your Magnetic Presence
You have permission to lay down the sword of perfectionism.
You have permission to suck.
And you have permission to pick up your magic wand. To freely be who YOU are, sharing your gifts, using your voice, speaking and improving as you go.
- Puppy, Paris & passion projects, oh my! - July 6, 2022
- Favorite quote from TEDxSanDiego & how this relates to you - April 1, 2022
- My biggest “aha” as a TEDx speaker coach - February 18, 2022
- 2021 gratitude & new year’s intentions - January 27, 2022
- How to find your Big Idea + my SUE Talk! - December 21, 2021