How to find your Big Idea + my SUE Talk!
Have you ever wondered… what’s my Big Idea worth spreading?
What’s the message I’m really here to share?
This question has definitely bubbled up for me countless times.
So today I’m sharing an elegant framework for thinking about your idea worth spreading that I learned from being a TEDx Speaker Coach for the upcoming TEDxRutgersCamden event.
First of all, what constitutes a great, well-formed idea is one of these two things:
- Something that’s new or surprising; an idea or invention that your audience has never heard about.
- OR a great basic idea–that your audience has maybe already heard–with a compelling new argument behind it that challenges beliefs and perspectives.
When forming the Big Idea in your message or talk, here are 3 criteria you want to make sure are included:
1. It meets an unmet need of your ideal client and focuses on one of their top challenges that you help solve.
2. It’s in your area of expertise. Sounds obvious, and you want to make sure your Big Idea showcases a proven track record of results you’ve helped your clients achieve.
3. It’s something you’re passionate about. Often the thing we’re most passionate about is something we’ve struggled with as well. So check that your message brings in your unique perspective on this topic, where you can speak to your audience with credibility–and also vulnerability.
Use these checkpoints as you’re preparing for 2022 speaking engagements whether in-person or online, and let me know how it goes.
Recently, I had the pleasure of giving a TED-style, personal storytelling talk to a real-live 100-person audience in San Diego! It was an incredible experience from beginning to end, and I’m delighted to share the recording with you.
- Puppy, Paris & passion projects, oh my! - July 6, 2022
- Favorite quote from TEDxSanDiego & how this relates to you - April 1, 2022
- My biggest “aha” as a TEDx speaker coach - February 18, 2022
- 2021 gratitude & new year’s intentions - January 27, 2022
- How to find your Big Idea + my SUE Talk! - December 21, 2021